Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Volume Week

This week of training has started off well. After resting yesterday and doing some self - treatment (activation exercises, and muscle rolling) and a relaxed run, I was ready for a day of hard workouts!  I was excited to test my achilles after the treatment on Sunday.
Our training  is divided into week long cycles - intensity,  volume, and  recovery. This week is volume week. We started the workout with some short sprints, 40, 50 and 60m, followed by some longer reps. After 10 minutes of recovery we did a 400m at 600/800m race pace.  It was great to be on the track again and great to be in the nice weather! Other than Saturday which was pretty cold and rainy, it's been beautiful! After the workout, there was time to cool off in the pool, have a short nap, and get some groceries before heading back to the gym for weights. Celia and  I decided to run to the gym for our warmup which took about 20 minutes. I didn't really feel my achilles at all today! We took a bus part way home, and leisurely walked through the subdivisions of Scottsdale, where we saw a group of children dressed in costumes - a witch, a princess, and Mario from Nintendo. It reminded me of summers where my sister and friends would dress up in July and "trick or treat" around the neighborhood. Nice to know we aren't the only ones!
After making homemade pizza for dinner, we are trying a new recipe for "Layered Pineapple Energy bars" from Canadian Running Magazine.. I'll let you know how they turn out!

2 comments:

  1. Lol. I remember trick-or-treating in the summer. I think someone gave us some gum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! That's funny! Nice blog Alicia!

    ReplyDelete