Friday, April 15, 2011

"I'm So Lucky" Moments


This time last year Celia and I decided to keep track of what we like to call “ I’m so lucky moments.”  Times when we look around us and realize that if it weren’t for our interest in track and field we may not have had the opportunity to experience many things. Yesterday I had one of these moments.
After lunch, Celia and I decided to be pro active and absorb some Vitamin D in a healthy and responsible fashion- going for a quick swim in the pool, applying SPF 50 all over, then drying off in the sun.  We didn't stay out too long. A combination of the sun and maybe some lactic acid had given me a little headache. We decided to have a rest for a few minutes. I woke up feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. Celia and I hopped on the bikes (our current mode of transportation, besides our feet and Lauren's VW Euro Van) to get some groceries at Basha's.
I don't own a car or bike in Halifax, and forgot how terrifying and exhilarating bike riding can be. I felt like the Wicked Witch of the West, manoeuvring down the streets of Scottsdale. Celia's bike even has a basket attached to the front.  On the way to the store, we stopped at a stoplight to responsibly cross the street and the bike wheel attacked my ankle, making it bleed down my leg and into my shoe. (It looked a lot worse then it was) The shoppers at Basha's were very generous offering me both money for a band -aid and reminding me to disinfect my wound. After getting a bandage from the bakery, we continued with our shopping, picking out special groceries for our BBQ we were planning for dinner. On the way home we learned that a jug of water and carton of milk are too heavy for the bike basket. And dodging pedestrians on the sidewalks can be dangerous. Despite these slight inconveniences, we believe we are still avid bike riders. I am gaining a new appreciation for the bicycle and all it has to offer. After re –attaching the basket to the bike, we continued pedaling down the sidewalk. It may have been the feel of the warm breeze as we rode, the fact that I was riding a bike for the first time in years and enjoying it or  the fact that we made it back pretty much unscathed that made me say out loud, “ I’m having an I’m so lucky moment.”

5 comments:

  1. This story reminds me of the time that Tash and I took bikes to the store to buy milk, very difficult trying to manouevre a bike with three bags of milk within a bag on your handlebars!

    It sounds you like are having a beautiful time! I will miss you at the wedding, but I am proud of you cous! Are you guys training for the Olympics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Cous! I'm excited for you and will miss you! sorry I can't be there! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mubs, I love the idea of I'm So Lucky Moments! It's always a good thing to stop and thing about why we are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete